Re: GPLv3

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: GPLv3
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:21:53 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
Since Octave is "GNU Octave", the GNU project would like for us to
switch to GPLv3 for future releases.  Since Octave 3.0 will be coming
soon (really, this time I mean it) we need to consider this switch
now.  Of the many dependencies we have, are there any which have
licenses that are OK with GPLv2 but conflict with GPLv3?  For example,
any that are "GPLv2 only" (without the "at your option, any later
version" clause)?  I suppose the first thing to do is make a list of
all the dependencies.  Do we have one?  If not, it would be useful to
have anyway.

Thanks,

jwe

From the Fedora octave.spec file for creating the RPM, I have the following build dependencies, with my quick recollection (could be wrong) about the license:

bison (gpl?)
flex (gpl?)
less (gpl)
tetex (?)
gcc-gfortran (gpl)
lapack-devel (public domain)
blas-devel (public domain)
ncurses-devel (gpl?)
zlib-devel (gpl?)
hdf5-devel (?)
texinfo (?)
readline-devel (gpl?)
glibc-devel (gpl)
fftw-devel (gpl)
gperf (gpl)
ghostscript (gpl)
suitesparse-devel (bsd-like ?)
glpk-devel (gpl)
gnuplot (something odd and bsd-like)

These are only direct dependencies. Some of the -devel packages required in the Fedora build system will pull in other dependencies. This may also omit some really basic dependencies that the Fedora build system installs by default.

Quentin