Re: Change for OctaveForWindows in Octave Wiki

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: Change for OctaveForWindows in Octave Wiki
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:56:34 +0100

Thanks!

I've just made a couple of small fixes (mostly spelling, which makes it
the first time I've really used the Firefox spell-check thing!)

There are two things I'm still not sure about:

(1) The description of the two different versions is contradictory.
Surely one version can't be recommended while on the next line there is
a notice saying "you probably want this" about a different version.

I understand the reasoning behind the old stable version and the more
feature-complete unstable one, but I'm not sure what the correct
phrasing is in this case.

(2) The "Notes" section of 1.2 Octave Workshop needs some sort of
change, but I don't really understand the sentence. Does it mean:

"This is no longer maintained because mingw (on which it depends) does
not contain the 2.9.x series of octave."

Or something else?? :)

----

In a more general comment, if the Cygwin install is the most standard,
maybe we should move that to be the first option, along with a note
above the list and maybe with "short install instructions" before the
more detailed ones?

I'm happy to do this refactor if people want it, but I don't use Octave
on Windows at the moment, so I'm not really particularly qualified!

Rupert