Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:20:23 +0200

On 9/15/07, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Shai Ayal skrev:
> > It is my opinion that octave core should not be dependant on java --
> > in my experience it is very bloated and causes you to spend your
> > valuable CPU/Memory resources on things not directly related to the
> > tasks you want to achieve in octave.
> I must say I disagree with you here. Yes, Java can be a memory-hog, but
> I don't agree that it matters much. At least when I plot stuff, it is
> usually not _during_ some heavy simulation, but afterwards. So, memory
> isn't all that important. What really matters is the developers during
> the implementation, and Java development can be quite a bit faster than
> C development. The thing that impresses me mostly about JHandles is how
> fast it has been developed (so, it's really Michael that impresses
> me...). So, if Java is what is needed to actually get something
> implemented, then I'd say, Java is fine.

looking at other work by Micheal, I think the speed of jhandles
developmnent can mostly be attributed to him rather than Java ....

Today, I can run octave in my P3/800Mhz/256MB laptop. I do all my
development on this laptop, and while it might be a bit slow at times
(probably the lack of memory), it is OK. If octave had any Java bits
in it, I am almost sure it would not work on my laptop. As an example,
I can't even run eclipse for lack of memory.

Shai