dashed line styles (was Re: print -deps -mono)

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: dashed line styles (was Re: print -deps -mono)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:33:26 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 19-Sep-2007, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

| So I see the change from previous versions that is causing trouble is | the gnuplot command: | | set style line 1 linecolor rgb "#0000ff" linewidth 0.500000 pointsize | 1.000000; | | I haven't followed all the graphics update details, but I assume this | code is now used as a standard part of the gnuplot pipe for all | plotting, enabling better line color control, WYSIWYG printing to files, | and Matlab compatibility. This would be fine if various dashed line | styles were supported, e.g. | | > plot(x,sqrt(x),'-k',x,x,'--k') | | Should give a black solid line and a black dashed line. Instead, I get | two solid lines. | | Until this addition feature is coded, I suggest that printing to file | devices use the default gnuplot line styles that include various solid | and dashed lines and not override the styles as above. Otherwise it is | currently not possible to make black and white plots directly from | Octave (I must save to a file and write gnuplot code).

I think the problem should be fixed in gnuplot.

If it is relatively simple to fix this problem in Octave, I would
consider a patch.

I think in gnuplot, mono vs. color options only give you different default line and symbol styles. If you override the styles, as Octave does by default now, then mono vs color means nothing. I do not consider this a gnuplot bug, and perhaps not even an Octave bug, but an interpretation of features and implementations.

Regardless, I am now requesting some way to create dashed lines (and dashed variants such as dash-dot). Unless I am missing something, there is absolutely no way to do that now in Octave. Reverting the print behavior to before octave 2.9 would be satisfactory. I would gladly help with coding, but I find the plotting functions very opaque.

Thanks,
Jonathan