Re: feature freeze -> 3.0 release

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: feature freeze -> 3.0 release
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:10:46 -0500

Thomas Weber wrote:
Am Samstag, den 22.09.2007, 09:57 +0100 schrieb Shai Ayal:
On 9/22/07, Soren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
David Bateman skrev:
The only thing I really really want to see fixed before 3.0 is that at
least one distribution is happy with the octave package manager. After
the changes to pkg.m are in can we have at least one test release prior
to a full release? In that case might we have a 2.9.15 is a very short
time if I get a patch together for pkg.m that Orion is happy with? If so
I'd put off an octave-forge release for 2.9.14 to get pkg right and
release octave-forge based on 2.9.15.
I agree very much with these thoughts! I consider the package manager
broken if no distributors picks it up...
I agree -- this is the key issue which should be solved before 3.0 --
it is very telling that fedora core's last rpm is from 2.9.9 (I think)

It just tells that Quention doesn't have much time (which I think he
said on the list).

-- It would be a shame to release a major release which would not be
distributed in the major distributions.

Most distributions have more or less up-to-date versions of Octave in
their development branches.

You are correct. The changes to octave-forge have been significant enough to make major changes to the packaging, which I have worked on unsuccessfully but not finished. With Orion's help, I think this should be done soon. Octave is at 2.9.14 in the development branch, which will become Fedora 8 in a few weeks. After we get the changes worked out, I will probably back-port them to Fedora 7. Octave is at 2.9.9 in Fedora 7 because that is the last one that worked with the old octave-forge.

Quentin