Re: edit.m on msvc octave 2.9.13

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: edit.m on msvc octave 2.9.13
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:15:59 +0200

On 9/26/07, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
> Perhaps a few week before, there was a case that edit.m on  msvc octave
> 2.9.13 did not work.
>
> octave-2.9.13.exe:1> edit
> error: system: CreateProcess failed -- can't create child process
> error: evaluating if command near line 150, column 5
> error: evaluating if command near line 149, column 3
> error: called from `edit' in file
> `C:\Programs\Octave2.9.13\share\octave\package
> s\miscellaneous-1.0.2\edit.m'
>
> However, it depended on the environments.  Only some people experienced the
> above.
>
> Today I forgot that and 'edit' from the prompt and the same error occur ed
> like the above.
> However,
>
> line 151: system(['cd "',FUNCTION.HOME,'" ; ',sprintf(FUNCTION.EDITOR,"")],
> [], FUNCTION.MODE);
>
> I added to see detail add the line 152.
> First I added that disp command to see the argument of system command line
> 151.
> I cannot see anything disp command but SciTE successfully worked.
>
> So I added in line 152 a meaningless command, '1;'.
> For this case, SciTE also successfully worked.
> I cannot find reason.
> But my edit.m in line 152, '1;' was added.
>
> Perhaps this problem seems not to be octave intrinsic but to be the problem
> related with the operating
> system.  Adding a meaningless command seems to play timing control role to
> communicate with the OS.
> (My OS is XP home edition.)

That's weird... Even more weird is the fact that line 151 is *not* executed
under WindowsXP (that's probably why you don't see the result of your
"disp" command). Indeed, if you look at the "if" statement, (isunix()
|| !ispc())
is false under WindowsXP. What's actually executed is the "else" clause.

Could you try to following at octave prompt:

system("notepad.exe", [], "async")
system(sprintf(edit("get","EDITOR"),""), [], "async")
edit get EDITOR
edit pkg

Michael.