Re: modified residues() for matlab compatibility

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: modified residues() for matlab compatibility
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 21:37:37 +0200

Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Monday, October 01, 2007, at 10:42AM, "David Bateman" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> Ben Abbott wrote:
>>> I plan to run more test, and see if I can improve the agreement
>>> (differs in the 9th decimal place). However, I thought it a good time
>>> to solicit feedback, and participation in testing.
>>>
>>> If anyone has an application that puts residue.m through its paces,
>>> I'd appreciate you taking a look.
>>>
>>> Also if anyone is up to checking the scripts for adherence to the
>>> common coding practices of the Octave contributers, I'd appreciate any
>>> feedback.
>>>
>> I haven't followed this conversation, but the code needs a copyright and
>> you have to apply that.. Also it needs a help string though I imagine
>> that can be taken from the existing residue.m. Could you resend it with
>> a GPL copyright to be absolutely clear that the code is under a GPL
>>
>> D.
>
> David, your comment confused me ... until I noticed I'd uploaded the *wrong*
> file :-(

Ok.

> The correct residue.m is attached. In addition, I've attached a modified
> version of mpoles.m which uses the sortcom.m available from Octave-Forge.

sortcom is a function in Octave in control/util. If its used by
residue.m it should probably be moved to somewhere more generic.

> I've done my best to put the texinfo stuff in. Its a bit painful for me since
> I haven't figured out a convenient method to debug it when there's a problem.

Easy, start octave at type "help residue". If it doesn't give and error
the texinfo syntax is right. Also change the layout if needed

> I did not modify the copyright from the original residue file and just copied
> the same to mpoles. If I should modify the copyright to indicate my name,
> please let me know (not sure what the protocol is respecting that).

What percentage of the residue.m to you estimate is yours? If its a
significant majority of the code then its probably justified to change
the name to yours. If there is any code left from the previous version,
then you should remove the previous authors name though.

D.