Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:24:25 -0400

On  3-Oct-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| John W. Eaton schrieb:
| > On 23-Sep-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:
| >
| > | I've done a lot of tests and I spend quite a lot of time to see if the
lines
| > |
| > |    *-*-darwin*)
| > |      UGLY_DEFS=`echo $DEFS | sed
's,\\",\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\",g'`
| > |    ;;
| > |
| > | in configure.in of the current Octave 2.9.14 sources are still necessary.
The
| > | big problem that I've got is that I actually am not able to reproduce the
| > | problem. This means that I'm not able to compile Octave with MacOSX's
original
| > | 'sed' at all, the problems are much bigger then just setting the
UGLY_DEFS in a
| > | different way than on any other *nix platform (The reason may be that
either
| > | MacOSX's sed is too much POSIX or too much broken in some way, I actually
don't
| > | know).
| > |
| > | My wish would be that these lines could be completely be removed from the
| > | ./configure.in script but only if we are sure that there is absolutely no
other
| > | MacOSX distribution packaging process broken.
| >
| > I think the only place this is really used now is the octave-bug
| > script.  The idea is that when someone reports a bug, we'd like to
| > know what macros are defined when Octave was compiled.  Currently,
| > running the octave-bug scripts prints something like this:
| >
| >   DEFS:
| >
| >     -DPACKAGE_NAME="" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME="" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=""
| >     -DPACKAGE_STRING="" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT="" -DOCTAVE_SOURCE=1
| >     -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1
| >     -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1
| >     -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1

| > All the fancy quoting is needed to try to get these lines passed
| > through Make and the shell so that they appear correctly quoted in the
| > text of the message that the octave-bug script finally sends.
| >
| > I'd be happy to have these lines replaced by the contents of config.h,
| > but I don't see how to do that reliably.
| >
| > jwe
|
| Hallo John,
|
| I was talking to Marius (HMUG) who finally told me offside the list that the
| 'commented out' three lines are okay for the HMUG version of Octave. I didn't
| get any answer from the Fink packagers but I was talking to Ben who is
running a
| Fink version of Octave (and I had a look at the patch file that is used
before
| Octave is build - the commented out three lines aren't there). The output of
| Fink looks like
|
|    ans = ... -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\\ -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\\ -DPACKAGE_STRING=\\ ...
|
| instead of
|
|    ans = ... -DPACKAGE_TARNAME="" -DPACKAGE_VERSION="" -DPACKAGE_STRING="" ...

What do you mean by "output of Fink"?  In any case, the \\ is wrong.
It should be "".

| So my final summary is: Fink's output is different, for HMUG the commented
out
| lines are okay and MacPorts as well as Octave.app already use the commented
out
| lines. I'm sorry that I don't have better news or infos but I think it's time
| get the *darwin* specials out of configure.in. If you say ok, should I send a
| patch for these three lines?

I'm all for getting rid of UGLY_DEFS, but I won't want to do that
unless we can find another way to reliably save the #defines from
config.h in the bug reporting script.