Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:49:34 +0200

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On  3-Oct-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| John W. Eaton schrieb:
| > |      UGLY_DEFS=`echo $DEFS | sed
's,\\",\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\",g'`
| > |    ;;
| > script.  The idea is that when someone reports a bug, we'd like to
| > know what macros are defined when Octave was compiled.  Currently,
| > running the octave-bug scripts prints something like this:
| >     -DPACKAGE_STRING="" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT="" -DOCTAVE_SOURCE=1
| >     -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1
| >     -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1
| >     -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1
| > through Make and the shell so that they appear correctly quoted in the
| > text of the message that the octave-bug script finally sends.
| > but I don't see how to do that reliably.

What do you mean by "output of Fink"?  In any case, the \\ is wrong.
It should be "".

Sorry, I meant the output of Octave from the Fink distribution. That's what I wanted to say: All Octave binaries from the 3 Mac distributions (that are currently known to me) and Octave.app produce a wrong output with the special three lines that are currently included in configure.in - but I don't have a test (as long as I can't reproduce the problem, I can just see that the output is wrong if I keep the 3 lines before building Octave) and I don't have any idea how to fix it in a different way so that it works for all packagers.

| So my final summary is: Fink's output is different, for HMUG the commented out | lines are okay and MacPorts as well as Octave.app already use the commented out | lines. I'm sorry that I don't have better news or infos but I think it's time to | get the *darwin* specials out of configure.in. If you say ok, should I send a | patch for these three lines?

I'm all for getting rid of UGLY_DEFS, but I won't want to do that
unless we can find another way to reliably save the #defines from
config.h in the bug reporting script.

jwe

I don't know if we are talking from the same things or if I understand anything wrong John (I mean the UGLY_DEFS will still be there but are currently treated different on the Mac side than on any other platform). I just thought that the Mac people should here again be part of the big Unix community as long as they are not able to build Octave with Mac's sed anymore and therefore they must install a newer version of sed and then the following special darwin lines don't work anymore:

  *-*-darwin*)
  ;;
  *)
    UGLY_DEFS=`echo $DEFS | sed 's,\\",\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\",g'`
  ;;

Thomas