Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:35:57 -0700

On Wednesday, October 03, 2007, at 01:57PM, "Thomas Treichl" <address@hidden>
wrote:
>John W. Eaton schrieb:
>> On  3-Oct-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:
>>
>> | Mac's original sed will definitely not work anymore for building Octave.
>> Even if
>> | we get through ./configure we then will fail with the mkf77def script that
>> | produces 'empty output' if we call ./make in libcruft.
>>
>> So you have the same problem that we are looking at in this thread:
>>
>>   https://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2007-October/003348.html
>>
>> ?
>>
>> jwe
>
>With Mac's sed yes, it somehow looks the same and I was not able to fix it
>before I've started this thread.
>
>   Thomas

Thomas/John,

I'm not entirely up to speed on the discussion but ...

My Mac's Fink installation includes the GNU version of sed, and yet I still get
the result below

octave_config_info ('DEFS')
ans = -DPACKAGE_NAME=\\ -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\\ -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\\  ...

I've checked my path and the GNU version (/sw/bin/sed) precedes the one that
accompanies OS X (/usr/bin/sed).

If I've missed the point of the discussion, just tell me I'm a dork and to get
lost ;-)

otoh, I'm happy to try to tinker on my end if I can be of some help.