Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS for darwin in configure.in
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:51:27 +0200

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On  3-Oct-2007, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| This looks very good now. It automatically found my /usr/local/bin/sed as a | working GNU's sed and didn't use /usr/bin/sed. Then I moved /usr/local/bin/sed | into /usr/local/bin/__sed and my output now is: | | checking for times... yes
|    checking for gawk... gawk
|    checking for a usable sed...
|    checking for perl... perl
|    checking for python... python
| | One last question (because I used the ./configure SED=... command before and it | didn't work then):

What do you mean by "didn't work"?  Setting SED on the command line
seems to set the SED variable for me.

I'm sorry, this was just another not-precise translation into English. What I wanted to say is that if I use './configure SED=...' then I get into the test function and immediately get out of it again because I told the ./configure script to use my SED=... and to not search for another one. Everything works just fine and as expected ;)

| The first line of the OCTAVE_PROG_SED macro is
| | if test -z "$SED"; then | | just for my understanding, we keep this line because the user in general should | know better then the test script that he has a working SED program?

Sure, if you set it to something, then I think it is fair to assume
you know what you are doing.

jwe

Ok, thanks, things are clear for me now. Will the comments in configure.in for the *darwin*/UGLY_DEFS also be ok?

  Thomas