Re: Profiler and GUI in Octave?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Profiler and GUI in Octave?
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:46:35 -0400

On  6-Oct-2007, Svante Signell wrote:

| Please interpret my message as follows: I like the efforts you put into
| the free software tool Octave, I use it every day at my home computers.
| My preference is as much free software as possible, especially Octave
| since Matlab is very expensive for everybody except universities (where
| I belong).

I prefer to focus on freedom rather than price.  Octave has certainly
not been free (gratis) for me and others who have worked on it or
funded its development.

| My question is more how difficult it is to implement such a thing.

Your initial message sounded like a feature request.

In any case, I'd suggest joining the list and starting a discussion
about profiling.  There have been various threads in the past, and one
that produced some experimental code (see:

  http://www.nabble.com/Octave-profiler%2C-tf3120434.html#a8645265

but this was not merged).

| Regarding a GUI this a secondary issue as least for us, computation
| speed is more important. We are offering our help here, not requiring
| immediate support for something not yet implemented! Is it feasible at
| all?

What is it?  Yes, I'd say GUI and profiling tools are feasible, but
they will both take some work.  Can you fund a project or write code
to do implement the features you need and contribute them to the
project so others may also benefit?  If not, then you may have to wait
until someone else who can provide the funding or do the work decides
that the things you want are also the things they want.

| We can offer our help by trying our application in the Octave
| environment as well as Matlab and compare performance.

As I see it, we need more people helping us improve Octave by writing
code.  We already have enough people telling us how it fails in
comparisons.