Re: modified residues() for matlab compatibility

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: modified residues() for matlab compatibility
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 13:57:23 -0400

On Oct 6, 2007, at 11:40 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On  6-Oct-2007, Ben Abbott wrote:

| After reading this a second time, I realized/inferred that Octave
| allows test code to be embedded in the scripts. I'm happy to include
| some testing in the new version of residue. Is the generally desirable?

Yes.

jwe

I've attached a modified residue.m that includes modifications to the doc-string and the addition of test scripts. In addition, the multiplicity vector, "e", which the prior change dropped has been reinstated.

The test scripts include the examples give in the doc-string as well as the original error which recently prompted much discussion and lead to my involvement. The accuracy of the residues may have been impacted. I had to lower the increase the permitted error in the test scripts in order for the scripts to pass ... at least relative to the test script in your prior email. Specifically

        -%! assert ((abs (r - [-2; 7; 3]) < 1e-7
        +%! assert ((abs (r - [-2; 7; 3]) < 1e-5

It occurs to me that I need to get set up with CVS so I can see the present state of things. That way I can send patches instead of sources ... unfortunately the web-site, http://www.octave.org/ download.html, is down. I'll get to that task when it's back up.

In any event, I've attached a new residue.m as well as the equivalent patch (which may have a unix/dos EOL problem). I've also attached a ChangeLog.

Some questions,

(1) Is there a naming convention for patches?
(2) Which variety of EOL is desired, or does it matter?