Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave: 0.3.0

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave: 0.3.0
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:11:09 +0200

Shai Ayal skrev:
From what I understand, cairo can use OpenGL for rendering (i.e.
OpenGL is one of cairo's output formats along with ps, pdf, Xlib and
more). I'm not sure how to decide if a plot is 2D or 3D -- 2D plots in
matlab are just 3D plots drawn on the x-y axes and viewd from above.
This would also mean a lot of duplication -- e.g. all lines drawn on
the x-y plane will have to be drawn using cairo functions which will
be "translated" by cairo to OpenGL, but similar lines on the x-z plane
will have to be drawn using OpenGL functions. and they wouldn't look
the same in the end.
What I though of doing was to one day write a 2D only cairo backend --
I don't like 3D anyway ...
I love 3D for interactive data exploring, but not for printing. So, to me 3D printing doesn't need to be top-quality, but 2D printing needs to be very good. Anyway, I just thought I should mention the following tutorial on combining cairo and opengl:
  http://cairographics.org/OpenGL/
It shows how to put 2D stuff created with cairo and show them with OpenGl (from what I understand). Anyway, I don't really understand all this graphics stuff, so I'll shut up now :-)

Søren