Re: 2.9.15 --> 3.0

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: 2.9.15 --> 3.0
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:23:01 +0200

Am Montag, den 08.10.2007, 12:34 +0200 schrieb Soren Hauberg:
> John W. Eaton skrev:
> > On  7-Oct-2007, Soren Hauberg wrote:
> >
> > | So, what does that mean? Essentially we have to make some 3.0 release
> > | candidate release about a week before 3.0 is actually released.
> >
> > That's essentially what 2.9.14 was supposed to be, and (RSN) 2.9.15,
> > etc.  It's just that we keep finding things to fix or tweak.
> What I was suggesting was really to make a release at some point. Call
> the a release candidate. And if nothing big comes up in the following
> week release that. Currently it seems like we keep on fixing bugs, and
> that nobody really knows when 3.0 is released. This isn't helpful to
> people who want to create binary distribution. If we want binary
> distributions on the day of the release, then we need to create an
> unofficial release sometime before the actual release. This is what I
> meant with a release candidate.
>
> Did that make sense?

Are there objections to start with this process *now*? Bringing a
package with a new name into Debian can easily take more than a week[1].
So, we would like to package 2.9.14 as release candidate now, just to
have a package with the name octave3.0.

Objections?

[1] It needs manual intervention outside the realm of packagers.

        Thomas