Re: 2.9.15 --> 3.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 2.9.15 --> 3.0
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:18:52 -0400

On  8-Oct-2007, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

| I think we should release right now the octave3.0 packages to Debian
| unstable, but give it a "version" number 2.9.14-1 (supposing that we package
| the current 2.9.14 tarball).  These packages will be identical to their
| current octave2.9 counterparts, with only the name changed.  We could also
| upload the new packages to the experimental distribution.
|
| The goal of the exercise is to get octave3.0 approved in Debian by the time
| the real 3.0.0 is released to the world.

I think it is OK to do this if you add a prominent note in the readme
file that the octave3.0 package is a test release and the version
number of Octave itself remains 2.9.x.  It might also be good
to prevent it from going into the testing, and I think it should not
be the version that one gets when installing the "octave" package
until 3.0 is actually released.

Thanks,