Re: 2.9.15 --> 3.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 2.9.15 --> 3.0
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:46:14 -0400

On  8-Oct-2007, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

| * John W. Eaton <address@hidden> [2007-10-08 14:30]:
|
| > I checked and the files that are currently in the Emacs CVS archive
| > will work with XEmacs with only the minor change of deleting the last
| > two args from the calls to define-abbrev.
|
| Thanks for this.  My concern was not about making octave-mod.el work on
| XEmacs, but rather about making it available to XEmacs users.  If/when the
| emacs/ files will be removed from the Octave distribution tarball, then
| XEmacs users will be out of luck, because those files will not be available
| for them anymore (at least in Debian).
|
| > Perhaps newer versions of XEmacs will also accept these additional
| > arguments?
|
| Which version of XEmacs do you have?  In GNU Emacs 22, define-abbrev is
| define as:
|
|     (define-abbrev TABLE NAME EXPANSION &optional HOOK COUNT SYSTEM-FLAG)
|
| while in XEmacs 21.4.20 it is:
|
|     (define-abbrev TABLE NAME &optional EXPANSION HOOK COUNT)
|
| there is only one argument less, not two.

I'm using 22.  OK, the last two arguments were 0 and t.  I think
SYSTEM-FLAG and COUNT are both option.  SYSTEM-FLAG defaults to nil
and COUNT to 0, so it can also be omitted.  I thought they were both
new since octave-mod.el only passed four arguments to define-abbrev.
But now I see that COUNT had to be added when SYSTEM-FLAG was added,
even though it is just set to the default value of 0.