Re: MSVC 2.9.13 and path completion with spaces

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: MSVC 2.9.13 and path completion with spaces
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:34:29 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> OK, I tested this patch lightly and it seems good.  So if you are
> confident about it, please check it in for 2.9.15.

As I said the only issue I see is that it might break compilation in the
absence of readline.. Do we care? I checked it in..

> I haven't looked closely at the code so I don't know whether readline
> makes this easy, but it seems that we should be able to look at the
> current line and see that the symbol "DirOne" is only available as a
> directory completion, not as some other symbol (like a function or
> variable name) and so then automatically quote the completion.  It
> looks like that should happen at the same time that the trailing
> directory separator is added to the name (I think readline does that
> part for us, correct?).  But unless you quickly see some really simple
> way to make that happen, I would not worry about it.  Having
> subdirectory completion work at all is a great improvement.

The first time I looked at readline was less than a week ago. It is very
powerful and extremely extensible, so yes there probably is a way to do
it. However, the only way I can see to do this is to trap the case of
filename completion in Octave's own completion function and only allow
filename completion until the next word break character. However, I
really don't see the easy way of doing it so. Hey I was looking for a
quick fix for the directories with spaces in their names issue :-)

> | I haven't tested this patch without readline to see what effect this
> | will have, and so it might breaking building in that case. Is this an issue?
>
> Octave should still build without readline (using the
> --disable-readline configure parameter) but it doesn't need to do
> anything for completion in that case.  I'm building this way now to
> see if it will still build.

Can you report any error you get and I'll see if I can propose a patch

D.