Re: Metis

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Metis
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:59:12 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> Is it possible to modify the Octave configure script to not use Metis
> by default?  If so, and we modify configure so that it doesn't look
> for Metis, then I assume the checks for SuiteSparse will fail if it
> has been built in a way that requires Metis, correct?  In that case,
> could the user specify libraries in a way that would allow building to
> continue, but we would not be encouraging people to use Metis?

Not really, as Octave doesn't in fact link to Metis.. It links to
Cholmod that then links to Metis. If the user built Cholmod to use
metis, then our only choices are to link to metis or to not link to
cholmod at all.

>From my point of view, its perfectly alright to link to Metis, its the
distribution of the resulting binary that is the issue. This is a
similar situation to GOTO blas, we should prevent it being used, but
should enforce the fact that the binary resulting from linking to it
shouldn't be distributed..

D.