print ('-depslatexstandalone', 'test.tex') now prints dashed line s?

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: print ('-depslatexstandalone', 'test.tex') now prints dashed line s?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:35:12 +0200

Hello,

I found some strange behaviour of the print command with the gnuplot
backend, which seems to have changed with 2.9.15:
If I have a "standard" plot with solid coloured lines and I do the above
mentioned

print ('-depslatexstandalone', 'test.tex')

I get a plot with coloured, dashed lines.
The reason is that the current print.m sets the "new_terminal" string to

new_terminal = epslatex standalone mono dashed

So, we have two issues here: Although mono is specified in the terminal
string, coloured eps is produced (that is probably on the gnuplot side) and
the logic for the postscript terminal settings prefers to go to "mono
dashed" unless otherwise specified. The current logic is

    if (any (dev == "c") || use_color > 0)
      if (force_solid < 0)
        options = strcat (options, "color dashed ");
      else
        options = strcat (options, "color solid ");
      endif
    else
      if (force_solid > 0)
        options = strcat (options, "mono solid ");
      else
        options = strcat (options, "mono dashed ");
      endif
    endif

that is, unless the device name contains a "c" or color is explicitly asked
for, it assumes mono which defaults to dashed unless solid is specified. As
epslatex and other likewise terminals / devices are typically used for file
output (and post-production) these days and the default plots of octave are
coloured anyway, I would propose to change the behaviour here to default to
colour solid output. Integrating a "c" in the name of the devices seems to
be wired and the postscript produced is coloured anyway, as mentioned above.

Comments?

Rolf