Re: [Patch]: Re: bug with plot

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [Patch]: Re: bug with plot
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:16:13 -0400

On 29-Oct-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| Your eyes must be better than mine.. This is effectively just the same
| as a pointtype=0, which I find to be basically invisible.. The make the
| pointsize of "." adjustable then a patch like the attached would be more
| appropriate, though my eyes prefer a pointsize=1.0 ....
|
| Ok, I just ran the same tests on your 2.9.15 binary and I see that the
| markersize for 1.0 is much much larger than the X11 terminal on my linux
| machine and that a markersize of 0.5 under your 2.9.15 binary
| effectively corresponds to the markersize of 1.0 on my linux machine..
|
| Given that gnuplot has different markersizes depending on the terminal
| then this is a gnuplot bug in my opinion and I don't see what Octave can
| and should do about it.

David, if you think the changes you've made are an improvement, then
please check them in.  I don't have a strong opinion about what to do
here.  My only thoughts are that this is a limitation of gnuplot that
we can't really work around (similar to the way that colors were
specified in the past).  If we want to have specific behavior (certain
marker types and sizes, line colors, etc.) then gnuplot must provide a
way for us to reliably specify those things.  It is not going to work
for us to have to know the details of every possible gnuplot terminal
driver in order to get the appearance right.