Re: [Patch]: Re: bug with plot

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: [Patch]: Re: bug with plot
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:20:38 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 29-Oct-2007, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | Your eyes must be better than mine.. This is effectively just the same
> | as a pointtype=0, which I find to be basically invisible.. The make the
> | pointsize of "." adjustable then a patch like the attached would be more
> | appropriate, though my eyes prefer a pointsize=1.0 ....
> |
> | Ok, I just ran the same tests on your 2.9.15 binary and I see that the
> | markersize for 1.0 is much much larger than the X11 terminal on my linux
> | machine and that a markersize of 0.5 under your 2.9.15 binary
> | effectively corresponds to the markersize of 1.0 on my linux machine..
> |
> | Given that gnuplot has different markersizes depending on the terminal
> | then this is a gnuplot bug in my opinion and I don't see what Octave can
> | and should do about it.
>
> David, if you think the changes you've made are an improvement, then
> please check them in.  I don't have a strong opinion about what to do
> here.  My only thoughts are that this is a limitation of gnuplot that
> we can't really work around (similar to the way that colors were
> specified in the past).  If we want to have specific behavior (certain
> marker types and sizes, line colors, etc.) then gnuplot must provide a
> way for us to reliably specify those things.  It is not going to work
> for us to have to know the details of every possible gnuplot terminal
> driver in order to get the appearance right.
>
> jwe

There a difference in size of the points between terminals in gnuplot.
The solution I propose is a compromise as I think pointtype=0 results in
a point that is too small. If we don't use pointtype=0 I see no way to
get it to work consistent across all terminals.. The patch I sent fixes
one bug and allows a change in a single place to adjust to a difference
pointsize on a gnuplot terminal...

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only