Re: Octave and IDE communication

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave and IDE communication
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:15:40 +0100

On 10/29/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> My feeling is that for any IDE to really be efficient and effective,
> it should be running in the same process as Octave (though probably in
> a separate thread) so that it has on-demand access to all the internal
> state of Octave that it needs rather than having to send signals or
> whatever to get it.

The fact is that up to now, I couldn't run octave in a separate thread
without suffering other problems, which seem to be related to stdin
redirection (see my other mails on the subject). I'm looking for alternate
solutions.

Note that one advantage of running octave in a separate process is
that you could imagine running several octave instances within the
same GUI. (there are drawbacks, of course, I'm just trying to be
positive).

Michael.