RE: System wide configurations

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: RE: System wide configurations
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:30:45 +0100

Sorry, please do not get me wrong.

I totally agree that the issues I described are within the range of the
packangers and not within the range of octave core development or the make
process for octave . And I fully understand and agree with John on his
little personal interest in these issues.

All I wanted to do was to explain what I understood the background of the
original post was...

Perhaps $prefix/share/octave/site is a bit too deep down the file system
tree  - btw, is it the only directory intended for site specific
configurations? - and at the same time parallel to the packages (which - for
the naive users - are a part of the binary release and not some uncontrolled
external addendum as from the octave development point of view) to be really
obvious as a configuration location to naive users. A higher level "site"
tree might clarify things and/or make them more simple.

Think about the emacs site-lisp directory (which is higher level) or the
traditional /usr/texmf - /usr/local/texmf separation (which is obvious, but
does not bundle all of tex unter a common $prefix).
But I might be biased by my experience - doing unix/linux system
administration in times where rpm was not yet invented and I had to do (and
understand) everything on my own and now being a non-privelleged windows
user (at work, not at home ;-).

Rolf