Re: [Patch] do not bind \340 key sequence in readline

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: [Patch] do not bind \340 key sequence in readline
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:57:48 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  6-Nov-2007, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| Michael Goffioul wrote:
| > Please consider the following patch. This avoids binding \340 key
| > in readline. This key code corresponds indeed to 'à'. I modified the
| > readline code I use for MSVC binary package, so it's no problem.
| > However, this might have an impact on mingw version.
| | I checked with my local mingw32 build, and yes, this would be an impact | Unsetting the \340 key binding results in the cursor UP/DOWN keys not | being functional any more.

I'm surprised by this since the bindings

| >   "\e[A": history-search-backward
| > - "\340H": history-search-backward

| >   "\e[B": history-search-forward
| > - "\340P": history-search-forward

should be for the feature of searching backward/forward in the history
list when there is something already typed on the command line.  For
simply moving up and down in the history list, the bindings should be

  next-history can be found on "\C-n", "\M-OB".
  previous-history can be found on "\C-p", "\M-OA".

I found these bindings by typing

C-x k
at the Octave prompt.

I'm sorry, my comment was inprecise.
commenting out (i.e. unbinding) the \340 binding means that cursor UP/DOWN does no longer do a history search forward/backward. instead they behave as next-history/previous-history, i.e "\C-p"/"\C-n" (even if you typed something and then press cursor up/down) - so they are still functional (in the sense that pressing them results in action), but no longer in the intended sense (i.e. resulting in unexpected action).

| I don't know if this is a mingw32-readline specific problem or a cmd.exe | specific problem or somewhere else. | I have used your readline patch for compiling with mingw32, but I'm | currently still at version 2.9.12. Have tehre been updates to your | readline patch? (I need to get up-to-date again...) | | We can just keep it in the mingw32 build, but this would be one | difference then between msvc and mingw

I think it would be best if there were no user-visible differences
other than that .oct files are built with MinGW in one case and MSVC
in the other.