Re: dirty but most simple method by which pkg install will be successful

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: dirty but most simple method by which pkg install will be successful in mingw octave
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:26:07 +0900 (JST)

Dear Benjamin

According to your mail, you can execute pkg.m without any modification in pkg.m.
Right?

I now wonder my origin of my trouble rely on the Japanese version of windows.
:From the MS-DOS era, Microsoft OSs have a Japanese spesific problem.

In Japanese windows, we use Chinese and Japanese charactors (Kanji charactors).
Japanese windows have the shift-jis kanji code.

A shift-jis kanji code consist of 2 bytes.  The first byte code is larger than
80(HEX).
But second byte is not always larger than 80(HEX) and some kanji uses 5C(HEX).
The 5C(HEX) is the code of '\'.
The facts make Jananese kanji code treatment very complex.

I do not know the trouble comes from the above.
But the treatment of the seperator may be complex for Japanese system.

The above is only speculation.
That's why I don't have english windows.

The fact that Benjamin did not care that problem
I have to solve it for Japanese windows user.

Tatsuro

--- Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Bateman wrote:
> > John W. Eaton wrote:
> >> I don't understand why this is needed.  As far as I know, Windows
> >> should not care whether the directory separator is \ or /.  So what is
> >> rejecting \ on a Windows system?  If it is Octave, then we should fix
> >> it so that either \ or / will work.  I don't think the correct
> >> solution can be to change the default file separator to /.
> >>

> I also do not understand ad hoc why there is a problem.
> Yes, Windows does allow '/' and '\' as directory seperators, I found
> that it works even in mixtures.
> My octave build uses '\', also in pkg.m
>
> octave:1:T:\octave_2.9.12-2\bin
>  > pkg list
> Package Name       | Version | Installation directory
> -------------------+---------+-----------------------
>      combinatorics *|   1.0.1 |
> T:\octave_2.9.12-2\share\octave\packages\combinatorics-1.0.1
> octave:2:T:\octave_2.9.12-2\bin
>  > pkg prefix
> T:\octave_2.9.12-2\share\octave\packages
>

> > I didn't analyze the situation just proposed the fix that was equivalent
> > to what was done in the propose filesep function.. Someone on mingw will
> > have to figure this one out.
>
> Personally, I'd be very careful to change the file separator to '/'.
>
> Tatsuro, at which stage in the pkg build process does the error occur?
> during configure or during make?
> What does a system("which make") yield?
>
> benjamin

New Design Yahoo! JAPAN  2008/01/01