Re: Octave 2.9.16 available for ftp -- build problems on freebsd/amd64

From: sam sirlin
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.16 available for ftp -- build problems on freebsd/amd64
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:12:43 -0800

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 13-Nov-2007, sam sirlin wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On  3-Nov-2007, sam sirlin wrote:
| >
| > | Somehow 2.9.15 configured ok, but 2.9.16 does not
| >
| > The license of metis is not compatible with the GPL, so Octave's
| > configure script no longer looks for it.  You can either build a copy
| > of cholmod that does not link to it, or you can pass LDFLAGS to
| > configure.  You should not have to modify the configure script.
| after applying your diffs:
| | setenv CC gcc42
| setenv CXX g++42
| setenv F77 gfortran42
| | setenv CFLAGS "-fPIC"
| setenv CXXFLAGS "-fPIC"
| setenv CPPFLAGS "-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/UMFPACK | -I/usr/local/include/metis"
| setenv LDFLAGS "-L/usr/local/lib -lmetis -lm "
| | ./configure \
|   --enable-dl --enable-shared --enable-lite-kernel
| | Still get barf on sed | | configure: creating ./config.status
| config.status: creating Makefile
| sed: 3: ./confJtlciY/subs-1.sed: filename expected
| | I'll look more later...

Did you run autogen.sh after applying the patch?
CXXFLAGS_NO_PT_FLAGS

No. After that  it does compile.

Regarding Makefrag.bsd, the flags that are filtered out for some files

 PT_FLAGS = -fexternal-templates -fno-implicit-templates
 CXXFLAGS_NO_PT_FLAGS = $(filter-out $(PT_FLAGS), $(ALL_CXXFLAGS))

are never set in my normal compilation. In fact, some tests seem to show that the compile lines with

CXXFLAGS_NO_PT_FLAGS

are never used anyway. Not sure why.
rm src/pic/lex.o; gmake -d gives tons of output, including
        Found an implicit rule for `pic/lex.o'.
compilation line without filter

adding to cxxflags I do see
c1plus: warning: switch '-fexternal-templates' is no longer supported

I'll try and do a complete build from scratch forcing those flags in cxxflags later...

Sam Sirlin