Re: Treat TeX in plot text in a Matlab compatible matter with gnuplot en

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Treat TeX in plot text in a Matlab compatible matter with gnuplot enhanced mode
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:42:10 +0100

Shai Ayal wrote:
> I have 2 comments:
> 1) It's going to be really hard to live up to the features of the
> gnuplot backend, and it keeps getting harder.
> 2) Why do you use the string_property type for the interpreter
> property and not radio_value?

Shai,

Here is my updated version of this patch. It adds the \bf, \it modes
etc, fixes a few incorrect symbols and correctly implements the super-
and sub-scripts. The super- and sub-scripts were rather messy as gnuplot
requires that the shorter of the two comes first to get the correct
alignment. The definition of shorter is not obvious as the fonts might
be proportional, nested {} and  there might be  non-printed characters
like /fontsize{20} that need to be ignored.. I also added documentation
and an example

x = 0:0.01:3;
plot(x,erf(x));
hold on;
plot(x,x,'r');
axis([0, 3, 0, 1]);
text(0.65, 0.6175, strcat('\leftarrow x = {2/\surd\pi', ...
' {\fontsize{16}\int_{\fontsize{8}0}^{\fontsize{8}x}}', ...
' e^{-t^2} dt} = 0.6175'))

which demonstrates the capabilities of the patch to layout mathematical
formula. I included your string_property, caseless_str patch in this
patch to get rid of he conflict between our patches. So your patch
shouldn't be applied, as its included here..

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

2007-11-19  David Bateman  <address@hidden>

        * plot/drawnow.m (open_gnuplot_stream, init_gnuplot_stream):
        Return whether the terminal supports enhanced text or not.
        (drawnow:enhanced_term): New sub-function to determine is terminal
        supported enhanced mode.
        * plot/__go_draw_figure__.m: Accept enhanced flag and pass to
        __go_draw_axes__.
        * plot/__go_draw_axes__.m: Accept enhanced flag and munge text if
        needed to support the enhanced mode.
        * plot/print.m: Remove "enhanced" option as this is now treated in
        drawnow.m.

2007-11-19  David Bateman  <address@hidden>

        * graphics.h.in (class figure): Add __enhanced__ property to cache
        whether the terminal supports enhanced mode. Add interpreter
        property to all text classes, to determine the renderer for the
        text.
        * graphics.cc (class figure): ditto.

2007-11-19  Shai Ayal  <address@hidden>

        * graphics.cc (string_properties): delete class
        (property_name): rename class to caseless_str.
        (radio_values::possible_vals): change type to caseless_str.

2007-11-19  David Bateman  <address@hidden>

        * interpreter/plot.txi: Document the new text properties and the
        TeX interpreter mode of text objects.
        * interpreter/plotimages.m: Add an example for the TeX
        interpreter.
        * interpreter/Makefile.in (PLOTIMAGES): Add the TeX example

2007-11-19  David Bateman  <address@hidden>

        * NEWS: Document the TeX interpreter mode and its limitations with
        gnuplot 4.0.