Re: Solaris: patches to run-octave.in

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Solaris: patches to run-octave.in
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:20:38 +0100

Moritz Borgmann wrote:

> Also, I don't see why we need LD_PRELOAD; setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH should
> be sufficient. LD_PRELOAD actually leads to errors under Solaris; I
> suspect that the dynamic linker tries to link the octave libraries into
> any child process of octave (such as shells) and fails.

We had some trouble that some systems were picking out the installed
octave libraries rather than the ones in the build tree, even with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The LD_PRELOAD was an attempt to get around it, and at
the time I thought that those that didn't support LD_PRELOAD (eg
windows) would at least ignore. If child process doesn't need the
LD_PRELOAD library, I see no reason to fail. Trust Sun to come up with a
new way to fail. Is there any other way around this?

D.