Re: Solaris: patches to run-octave.in

From: Moritz Borgmann
Subject: Re: Solaris: patches to run-octave.in
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:44:17 +0100

At 11:31 Uhr -0500 2007-11-30, John W. Eaton wrote:
I don't understand why it would fix the problem.  Can you explain?

yes. On certain Linux systems, the loader caches LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which is usually empty) at the start of the run-octave script. Since we don't spawn a new process, but simply exec octave, the loader doesn't bother to reread the (now changed from within run-octave) LD_LIBRARY_PATH. As a result, octave gets called with empty LD_LIBRARY_PATH. OTOH, if we spawn a proper new process, then the loader is forced to re-evaluate the environment before firing up octave.

Cheers,

Moritz