Re: plotyy problems and change proposal

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: plotyy problems and change proposal
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:01:47 +0100

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to use plotyy in JHandles but faced some problems:
>
> 1) plotyy sets "position" to the "outerposition" value, which by default is
> [0 0 1 1] in normalized units; this is of course not what you want to do
> if you really interpret those properties as Matlab does: setting position to
> [0 0 1 1] will make the axes to fill the whole figure and put the tick marks
> outside the figure area. For JHandles, what I would do instead is to set
> the position of the second axes to the one of the first axes, and set
> "activepositionproperty" to "position" for both axes.

This I think needs listener functions to work correctly. We don't have
them yet and won't by choice till after 3.0 and so I see no easy fix for
this that is completely matlab compatiable.. At the moment I've used the
fact the plotyy is the only function that uses the position property to
get __go_draw_axes__ to force both axes to have common axes.. Using an
ActivePositionProperty property instead should be fine, so we can
probably make it closer to what you want.

> 2) the second axes should get "color" set to "none", otherwise you don't
> see the first axes behind it.

There is no color property of the axes in Octave at the moment, only
{x|y|z}color. I see no issue adding that either I suppose.. I'll see
what I can do, though it might take a couple of days so feel free to
propose a patcn..

D.