Font problem with png terminal 2.9.17+

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Font problem with png terminal 2.9.17+
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:55:15 +0100

I have this issue with printing to png files:

octave:1> figure(1)
octave:2> plot(randn(100,1))
octave:3> xlabel('x')
octave:4> print -dpng test.png
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string x with font helvetica

Using gnuplot directly I get this:
gnuplot> set terminal png font helvetica
Terminal type set to 'png'
Could not find/open font when opening font helvetica, using default
Options are 'nocrop medium size 640,480 '

After some googling I found out that one can set the variable GDFONTPATH to point to the TrueType fonts but I have no (and can't find) helvetica.ttf font file on my (up-to-date)
Gentoo system.

ls /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/ gives:

andalemo.ttf comic.ttf encodings.dir georgiaz.ttf trebuc.ttf verdanai.ttf arial.ttf comicbd.ttf fonts.dir impact.ttf trebucbd.ttf verdanaz.ttf arialbd.ttf cour.ttf fonts.scale times.ttf trebucbi.ttf webdings.ttf
arialbi.ttf   courbd.ttf   georgia.ttf    timesbd.ttf   trebucit.ttf
ariali.ttf    courbi.ttf   georgiab.ttf   timesbi.ttf   verdana.ttf
ariblk.ttf    couri.ttf    georgiai.ttf   timesi.ttf    verdanab.ttf

so if I do an export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/ then, for example,

gnuplot> set terminal png font arial
Terminal type set to 'png'
Options are 'nocrop font arial 12 size 640,480 '

works fine (but not set terminal png font helvetica). I'm not sure if this is
a Gentoo, octave, gnuplot, or gd problem.

/Fredrik