GUD octave support

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: GUD octave support
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:10:50 -0500

On 20-Nov-2007, Nick Roberts wrote:

| Daniel Elliott has proposed adding Octave support in GUD, a debugger interface
| for Emacs:
|
| http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg01238.html
|
| However, the mechanism used to find the Octave script for display in
| an Emacs buffer seems a bit flakey.  Since Octave must have this information
| would it be possible to add a "--fullname" option as used for Emacs by GDB
| and other debuggers?
|
| In case you don't know what I'm talking about, from the command line, e.g.,
| an xterm, do:
|
|   $ gdb --fullname myprog
|
| where myprog is an excutable compiled with -g option, then
|
|   (gdb) start
|
| Older versions of GDB may not have start, in which case do "break main" then
| "run".
|
| Then you should get something like:
|
|   Breakpoint 1 at 0x80485bc: file myprog.c, line 75.
|   Starting program: /home/nickrob/myprog
|   main (argc=1, argv=0xbfdbb894) at myprog.c:75
|   ^Z^Z/home/nickrob/myprog.c:75:994:beg:0x80485bc
|
| which is matched by a regexp in Emacs.  I think that Octave should be able to
| emit the same information, i.e., something like:
|
| Z^Z/home/nickrob/octave/example.m:4

Sorry, but I'm not sure I follow exactly waht it is you want Octave to
do here.  Instead of making analogies with gdb, how about showing
precisely what Octave should do?

Also, I suspect that to be really useful inside Emacs' GUD mode,
Octave's debugging capabilities will need some improvement.  It would
be helpful to have someone who could work on that project.