Re: Font problem with png terminal 2.9.17+

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Font problem with png terminal 2.9.17+
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:18:02 +0900 (JST)

Hello Fredrik and John W. Eaton

Please disregard the previous mail.
Sorry for my carelessness.

Hi Fredrik
Sorry I have misled what you would like to say.

However you should read help of gnuplot carefully.

>From gnuplot help of png terminal

If gnuplot was built with support for TrueType (*.ttf) or Adobe Type 1  (*.pfa)
fonts, they may be
full pathname to the font
file, or a font  face name that is assumed to be the first part of a filename
in one of the
directories listed in the GDFONTPATH environmental variable. That is,  'set
term png font "Face"' will
look for a font file named either  <somedirectory>/Face.ttf or
<somedirectory>/Face.pfa. Both TrueType
and  Adobe Type 1 fonts are fully scalable and may be rotated through any
angle. If no font is
specified, gnuplot checks the environmental variable  GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT to
see if there is a
preferred default font.

Helvetica font is not a TrueType font.
Helvetica is one of the postscript basic font(Adobe Type 1 ).
Perhaps you need Adode software to get it.
But this is my speculation.
If somebody knows the detailed knowdlge of Adobe fonts, please reply.

Hi John W. Eaton,
I think it is better to use the Arial font instead of Helvetica font for png
terminal.
The Arial font is the substituing font of the Helvetica in the ttf fonts.

It will be better to include the modification in 2.9.18.

Tatsuro

--- Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is this really octave issue?
> Did you send a mail gnuplot ML on this issue?
>
> Tatsuro
>
> > Using gnuplot directly I get this:
> > gnuplot> set terminal png font helvetica
> > Terminal type set to 'png'
> > Could not find/open font when opening font helvetica, using default
> > Options are 'nocrop medium size 640,480 '
> >
> > After some googling I found out that  one can set the variable
> > GDFONTPATH to point
> > to the TrueType fonts but I have no (and can't find) helvetica.ttf font
> > file on my (up-to-date)
> > Gentoo system.
> >
> > ls /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/ gives:
> >
> > andalemo.ttf  comic.ttf    encodings.dir  georgiaz.ttf  trebuc.ttf
> > verdanai.ttf
> > arial.ttf     comicbd.ttf  fonts.dir      impact.ttf    trebucbd.ttf
> > verdanaz.ttf
> > arialbd.ttf   cour.ttf     fonts.scale    times.ttf     trebucbi.ttf
> > webdings.ttf
> > arialbi.ttf   courbd.ttf   georgia.ttf    timesbd.ttf   trebucit.ttf
> > ariali.ttf    courbi.ttf   georgiab.ttf   timesbi.ttf   verdana.ttf
> > ariblk.ttf    couri.ttf    georgiai.ttf   timesi.ttf    verdanab.ttf
> >
> > so if I do an export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/ then, for
> > example,
> >
> > gnuplot> set terminal png font arial
> > Terminal type set to 'png'
> > Options are 'nocrop font arial 12 size 640,480 '
> >
> > works fine (but not set terminal png font helvetica).  I'm not sure if
> > this is
> > a Gentoo, octave, gnuplot, or gd problem.
> >
> > /Fredrik

New Design Yahoo! JAPAN  2008/01/01
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/newdesign/