Re: GUD octave support

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: GUD octave support
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:26:12 +1300

 > | This is more lightweight than GUD, and I think that the idea is that the
 > | user interacts with Python in a shell buffer in the normal way (a bit like
 > | he would with Octave after run-octave).  Then if he wants to start
 > | debugging a script he can do this just by importing pdb and using pdb.run.
 > |
 > | However, this would require more work in Emacs than just using GUD.
 >
 > I don't understand this part.  Doesn't the GUD mode of Emacs have to
 > start Octave?  As part of the initialization, and instead of using a
 > command-line option, can't it send a command to Octave to set the
 > special output format?

I'm not sure which part "this part" refers to as you quoted all of my message.
I thought you were looking for a different way to start debugging so I used the
example of Pdbtrack.

Emacs could indeed send a special command to Octave when it starts up in
GUD mode but what would be the advantage of this over using a special option
in the command name?