print function options; imread/imwrite (was: Re: 3.0 when?)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: print function options; imread/imwrite (was: Re: 3.0 when?)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:53:37 -0500

On 13-Dec-2007, John W. Eaton wrote:

| OK, that's probably a reasonable thing to do.
|
| Now that we have fontname and fontsize properties, should we also drop
| the -F options for setting the font properties?

If anyone has objections to these changes, please speak up soon,
otherwise I will assume that everyone agrees that dropping the size
and fontname options from the print function is a good idea.

Also, would it be reasonable to add imread and imwrite (plus any
required supporting functions) for 3.0?  These are core Matlab
functions, and now that we have better image display capability with
gnuplot, it would be nice to be able to load common image formats
easily.  Also, I think it confuses people that there is no way for
Octave to load a jpeg file without first installing a separate
package.  I'm not asking anyone to do the work, I can port the
functions from Octave Forge.  It seems to me that this change should
be OK even now, since these functions are independent of the rest of
Octave so should not introduce any new bugs in existing code but maybe
someone else sees a potential problem that I'm missing.

Comments?

Thanks,