Re: Graphics properties as objects

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Graphics properties as objects
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:06:30 -0500

On 29-Dec-2007, Shai Ayal wrote:

| On this matter, my status = 0%, and I agree with the proposal.
|
| Also, as we are on the verge of adding quite a lot of new properties,
| Don't you think we should "upgrade" the property adding code? What I
| had in mind is something like the genprops.awk script, but it would
| also need to generate:
|
| properties::properties (const graphics_handle& mh,const graphics_handle& p)
| properties::get(void)
| properties::get (const caseless_str& name)
| properties::set_defaults(void)
| properties::set (const caseless_str& name, const octave_value& val)
| properties::factory_defaults (void)

These are the functions we currently have but are writing by hand?  If
so, yes, I think we should try to generate these as much as possible.

Also, there were some proposed changes to have the set/get functions
in the derived classes hand off to the base_properties class for
properties that are common to all graphics objects.

| I am not very proficient with awk. would be it possible to this in
| awk? If not, I can try to do it in perl. Is that acceptable or is perl
| not a dependency of octave?

Perl is OK (we already have at least one Perl script to generate code)
but I'd prefer to use AWK if possible, and I think it should be in
this case.