Re: 3.0 when?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: 3.0 when?
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:48:52 +0900 (JST)

Hello Benjamin

==Benjamin wrote
> It is of course possible, but not really necessary, since the mingw
> package contains the compiler that the package was compiled with and
> then forge packages can be added afterwards on-the-fly (if the
> dependencies are met, of course).
>
> I see the advantage of the mingw package exactly there, you can build
> forge-packages on your own.
>
> But of course I'm open for opinions.
=====

I'm not against your idea.
However some packages are difficult to handle for beginners.
You should care about them.

The symbolic package requires the Ginac(+CLN).
In addition it requires pkg-config(+Glib 2) command.
If you do not prepare prebuild packages on mingw, I recommend you prepare the
Ginac(+CLN) and make
them downloable and pkg-config(+Glib 2) command included in your binary
package.

The windows package requires '-luuid' ld option.  I recommend you inculde this
option in mkoctfile.

The engine and the pdb packages are not supportable at present on the native
windows system. (Both for
the mingw or the msvc.) However, if you use glibc to build the octave.  Perhaps
no problem will be
occured.

How do you think about the java and the jhandle packages?
Perhaps they require the Sun Java.
I do not want support them at the moment.

I recommend you to write something like Readme-pkg-install.txt and the detailed
explanation will be
described.

Regards

Tatsuro