Re: 3.0 when?

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: 3.0 when?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:09:33 +0100

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Hello Benjamin

I have fogotten ask you that the pkg-config and the Glib 2 will be inculuded in your distribution (to the mingw treees), which is available from:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

These are not the libraries and header files but required to tool for the pkg install for the symbolic packages. Recently Unix tools tend to use the pkg-config.
So that I think at least it is better to inculde these in your distribution.

Regards

Tatsuro

Thanks for the link, I will take a look into it

However, I frankly disapprove of forcing yet another packaging tool simply to retrieve compile and link settings. This only makes sense if the dependencies were built on the very same machine that the end program will run on. Otherwise all paths at compile time may be invalid - so why bother with them in the first place? And since win32 software should be designed to run from any location the user choses to install this is simply not useful.

IMO it should be possible to specify compile settings and libraries via environment variables (like e.g. the LIBXML2 settings in when configuring libfontconfig). I see no point in requiring another tools for this.

anyway, thanks again for the hint. I will take a look.

benjamin