Re: failing 1 test with current cvs

From: Johann Cohen-Tanugi
Subject: Re: failing 1 test with current cvs
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:09:00 -0800

octave:1> test sqp
 ***** test
x0 = [-1.8; 1.7; 1.9; -0.8; -0.8];

[x, obj, info, iter, nf, lambda] = sqp (x0, @phi, @g, []);

x_opt = [-1.717143501952599;
          1.595709610928535;
          1.827245880097156;
         -0.763643103133572;
         -0.763643068453300];

obj_opt = 0.0539498477702739;

assert (all (abs (x-x_opt) < sqrt (eps)) && abs (obj-obj_opt) < sqrt (eps));
!!!!! test failed
error: assert (all (abs (x - x_opt) < sqrt (eps)) && abs (obj - obj_opt) < sqrt (eps)) failed

I ran the test by hand in octave and got :
octave:17> x
x =

 -1.717143470820995
  1.595709574878395
  1.827245937942006
 -0.763643097696382
 -0.763643080812862

obj =  0.0539498477702764

which are compared to
%! x_opt = [-1.717143501952599;
%!           1.595709610928535;
%!           1.827245880097156;
%!          -0.763643103133572;
%!          -0.763643068453300];
%!
%! obj_opt = 0.0539498477702739;

to better than eps=2.22044604925031e-16

Thanks for the patch, with it I now get :

address@hidden optimization]$ octave sqp.m
GNU Octave, version 3.0.0+
Copyright (C) 2007 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i686-pc-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

In other words, the error I was getting indeed disappeared, but running this way does not give rise to the failure above.

Johann

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 17-Jan-2008, Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:

| hello,
| as far as I can tell I have the current HEAD of CVS, I distclean and | rebuilt the package, and make check announces 1 failure at | scripts/optimization/sqp.m, wich is currently at version1.16 :
| address@hidden octave]$ octave scripts/optimization/sqp.m
| GNU Octave, version 3.0.0+
| error: nested functions not implemented in this context
| error: near line 509 of file `scripts/optimization/sqp.m.m'
| parse error near line 509 of file scripts/optimization/sqp.m
| | syntax error | | >>> function [merit, obj] = phi_L1 (obj, obj_fun, ce_fun, ci_fun, x, mu)

I don't see any make check failures.  What happens if you start octave
and type

  test sqp

?

In any case, I do see the error above if I try running sqp.m as a
script from the command line as you did.  That's not something that
would normally be done, but I guess we can avoid the error, so I
checked in the following patch for this.

Thanks,