Re: Octave/backend interface proposal - Browser

From: BrowseOct
Subject: Re: Octave/backend interface proposal - Browser
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:07:06 -0800 (PST)

All,
Mostly, I developed this from current sources and code in an hour. Many
Octave users could use a scripting/ browser GUI interface that's easy to
code, if not elegant.

The solution would need to be a functionalized package for platform and
browser independence. As both IE and Firefox support STDOUT in some manner
from windows 98 to Linux, I think this is a workable GUI front end
enhancement. Clearly it is not a replacement for a an integrated GUI.  I did
get it to work in MATLAB.

Of primary importance in an adoptable model is the functionalizing of the .m
file and text stream approach and a fork method to keep the browser from
modally freezing the console.

Not at all hard considering for 3 hours browsing, borrrowing and testing.

Still thinking about the framework approach...

function SetBrowserParams(...);
function GetBrowserParams(...);
function SetBrowser(string Browser);
function SetBrowserEnv("LINUX","Firefox");
[Status,Output] = ModalBrowser("formname.html",...);

.... etc.

Will try this on firefox using -console and PClinux this weekend.

Best