[Fwd: Re: Recommendation for Octave statistics functions]

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Recommendation for Octave statistics functions]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:53:38 -0800

Forwarded as you asked.

Michael

-------- Original Message --------
Date:   Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:35:46 -0800
From:   Michael D Godfrey <address@hidden>
To:     John W. Eaton <address@hidden>, address@hidden

Yes, one of the biggest problems of Matlab is namespace control.  I see
subfunctions, nested functions, private functions, and classes as each
trying to solve some kind of namespace problem in a less than optimal
way.  Inventing something new could help, or, more likely, just cause
future compatibility issues.  If you are interested in discussing
this, please bring it up on the maintainers list.
I agree with this, and this problem affects more systems than Matlab.
Could I mention that what I know about namespace control, and more
generally, dictionary organization, is contained in a book that I,
David Hendry, Hans Hermans and Robbie Hessenberg wrote quite
a long time ago. I have to admit that I think the book contains some
useful ideas, mostly David's. I did a lot of the dictionary work in the
final version, based on David's original work. The book, in PDF, is at:
? /Machine Independent Organic Software Tools/ <http://qss.stanford.edu/%7Egodfrey/mint/mint.pdf>
That's the end of the advertising.

I know very little about how Octave resolves variable and function names,
so our ideas may not be directly relevant.

John: is address@hidden the right list for this? Is that what you meant by
"maintainer's list?

Michael