Re: merging imread and imwrite

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: merging imread and imwrite
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:09:22 +0100

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On 31-Jan-2008, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| There won't be a problem on MacOSX -- it's just a question about how many | library dependencies should be solved before building ImageMagick and use that | for Octave? Sure, the best thing would be 'all' but I think then we would at | least double the size of an Octave standalone binary application just because of | graphics libraries?! So I'm out of ideas here -- what is the best middle course?

If we only linked the ImageMagick libraries with the .oct files that
need them, then the Octave binary itself would not be larger, but yes,
it is somewhat more complicated to build a fully functional Octave
distribution if there are more dependencies.

OTOH, if all we are doing is reading some image files, maybe ImageMagick
is more than we need.  Are there other portable libraries available
that support a reasonable number of image formats and that just read
and write without being full image processing libraries?

jwe

If eg. the libpng, libtiff and libjpeg libraries could be used directly then I think this would be a great thing because they are very small and can be build easily (are there any other famous pixel formats, eg. like .bmp on Windows? On a Mac I noticed that most apps do want a .tiff format). For Gnuplot.app I need to compile gdlib - it seems to be a layer above png, jpeg and others but I actually can't tell any details about it...

  Thomas