Re: merging imread and imwrite

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: merging imread and imwrite
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:29:47 +0100

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On  1-Feb-2008, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| However, I still think that all backends of ImageMagick are not needed for an | standalone Octave pack and some compromise about which backend should be added | and which one should be left away must be done (eg. ?jbig, lcms, lqr, openexr? - | I actually have never heard of them before - are they needed?)...

Probably not.  But isn't that up to the person building/packaging the
Magick++ library?

jwe

Yes sure. I misunderstood some things before -- until you wrote in another email 'We can use Magick++ to read png and jpeg files, though I think it ultimately uses libpng and libjpeg to actually read them'.

What I was thinking about (without still having a closer look into the Magick++ codes) is that there exists eg. exactly one/two higher level C/C++ functions in the ImageMagick library which loads/saves images of any type and that Octave's 'imread' and 'imwrite' functions then also should read/write images from any type (currently >100 file formats if ImageMagick is used and a huge number of external libs is needed to support all these types, starting somewhere with a needed ghostscript library and ending with openexr -- and I expect an equivalent number of file formats and dependencies for GraphicsMagick).

If so, I wouldn't solve all these dependencies for Octave.app because of an extreme increase of Octave.app's size but would have suggested that users better get a GNU Image Manipulation Program or an ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick binary which both are available even on nearly every other platform and then convert the image file into one of three/four file formats before it can be used with Octave's 'imread' and 'imwrite' functions.

I hope it's clearer now why I was asking these questions...

  Thomas