switching from CVS to Mercurial

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: switching from CVS to Mercurial
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 05:17:43 -0500

I've decided to go with Mercurial.

I'm almost ready to switch to using it exclusively for managing the
Octave sources, but before I do that, I thought I'd announce the
change, let people check out the archive, and ask for comments on a
few more things.

First, I converted the CVS trunk and release-3-0-0-branch to
Mercurial.  A read-only version of the my archive is publicly
accessible here:

  http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

You can clone the repository with the command:

  hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

The repository itself is approximately 47MB  That includes all the
main trunk history from the beginning of time (around August of 1993;
I have no idea why I wasn't at least using RCS before that).  I think
the size is reasonable given that the unpacked sources are about
31MB.  It's small compared to the full CVS archive (i.e., all the RCS
files on the server), which occupies around 95MB.

I did not include old inactive branches in the new Mercurial archive.  I
don't really think this is necessary since all these branches are
dead.  They could be added later if someone comes up with a good
reason to add them.

You can find out more about Mercurial here:

  http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/

Comments?