Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:06:50 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
> I've decided to go with Mercurial.
>
> I'm almost ready to switch to using it exclusively for managing the
> Octave sources, but before I do that, I thought I'd announce the
> change, let people check out the archive, and ask for comments on a
> few more things.

I had a quick look and I have some practical questions. Basically my
development machine is a laptop and so isn't on line at all times and so
I can't easily publish the my hg repository directly from my laptop. I
don't beleive I'll be the only one in that situation. I see a few
possible solutions

1) You allow "hg push" to the www.octave.org hg repository, though this
has some issues with patch reviewing that will probably prevent this. Is
there a way to have hg push have separate branches for each user pushing
and you choose to merge what you want.

2) Users have their own hg repository on a machine that is "always on"
that they can push to and you pull from. This duplication of
repositories increases the chances that the repositories are out of
sync. Also not all users will have easy access to a machine that is
"always on" and has web access for hg to pull from. Where can we host
these repositories?

3) The user uses "hg export" and generates a patchset that they send by
e-mail. This is not much different from the current situation, but
essentially looses out on many of the collaborative development
advantages that mercurial promises.

What is your preferred collaboration method of the above, or do you have
any other suggestions? Do you want patches from now as mercurial patchsets?

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary