Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial

From: Jason Riedy
Subject: Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:43:37 -0800

And John W. Eaton writes:
> I've decided to go with Mercurial.

Anyone who wants to follow along with git can use the fast-export
tools.  The following only took a few minutes on a laptop:
  hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave octave-hg
  mkdir octave-git
  cd octave-git
  hg-fast-export.sh -r ../octave-hg

git-fast-export.sh should handle incremental imports so long as
tags don't move.  The fast-export tools are at
  git://repo.or.cz/fast-export.git

> The repository itself is approximately 47MB

The git repo is 23 MB after an aggressive repacking.  So keeping
both is less than keeping two extra copies of the source
directory.  I'd bet most people using CVS kept at least one
extra copy when developing.

I don't have anything against Mercurial; I'm just accustomed to
git's quirks.  The import tools make using my own tools easy.
And I think Mercurial adopted git's patch format extensions, so
contributing via patches is even easier than before.

Jason