src/Makefile: why MAKEDEPS has dependencies?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: src/Makefile: why MAKEDEPS has dependencies?
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:10:25 -0500

On  8-Feb-2008, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| In src/Makefile, one read
|
| $(MAKEDEPS): $(OPT_INC) $(OPT_HANDLERS) $(PREREQ)
|
| This has the annoying effect to make all .d files dependent on graphics.h.
| This is painful to regenerate all .d files when I change something to
| graphics code. Is there a reason for these dependencies?

The files listed as dependencies above are all generated files.  We
need some way to tell make to build them first, before attempting to
create $(MAKEDEPS).  Otherwise, generating the .d files will fail.

Making individual .d files depend on individual generated files would
be another way to go, but then we need to know which files include
these generated files, and we have to keep that information up to
date, which is the kind of job we are trying to avoid by automatically
generating dependency information in the first place.

Do you see a better way to do this?