Re: Polyfit with scaling - Q regarding polyconf

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Polyfit with scaling - Q regarding polyconf
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:53:04 -0500

On Feb 13, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Thomas Weber wrote:

On 13/02/08 07:34 -0800, Ben Abbott wrote:
The only thing that appears to agree with Matlab is the result from
polyval() ... which doesn't surprise me since I'm not clear on what
polyconf() is supposed to be doing ... I had thought one of its four
modes of operation would be equivalent to polyval().

If you (anyone?) has insight into how the algorithm for polyconf()
should be written, feel free to pick apart the one I posted.

Meanwhile, it does appear that we now have a polyfit() and polyval()
which respect the scaling, and whether or not a solution for fixing
the polyconf(), I'll rewrite polyval() to work independently of it.

Do you know
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/stats/stats_product_page.html

There's a lot of documentation linked from there, especially
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/pdf_doc/stats/stats.pdf
[beware, that file has 7.5 MB]

Someone with some knowledge in statistics around?

I've been trying to understand this link.

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/curvefit/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/curvefit/bq_5ka6-1_1.html

I appears to have the detail required, but I don't have a sufficient grasp of it as of yet.

Ben