Re: listing functions in a package

From: c.
Subject: Re: listing functions in a package
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:49:07 +0000

On 15/feb/08, at 09:01, David Bateman wrote:

c. wrote:
Hi,
Do you think it would make sense to have a command to
list all functions in a package as done by the attached patch?
This would be similar to the functionality of

help <toolbox name>

in matlab.
If this option was already available or you
do not find in useful please just ignore this message.

c.

P.s. it's the first time ever I use mercurial,
so I wonder if this is the correct way to send patches

Sure why not.. There was a request for a method to return where a
package is installed and whether it is loaded in January as well. So if
this feature is added it would make sense to have the feature also
address that. What I would suggest is something like

 list_functions = pkg("describe",<package>)

returns an error if the package is not installed but returns the
function list even if the package is not loaded

 [state, list_functions] = pkg("describe", <package>)

also returns a flag of the state of the package which can be
"installed", "loaded", "not installed". This doesn't return an error if
the package is not installed.

Regards
David

Does the attached patch do what you intended?
c.